This phish provides many clues that give it away as a scam message.
- The “From:” address has nothing to do with Penn State
- There is no “To:” address – any message regarding your account should be addressed specifically to you
- The greeting is a very generic “ATTENTION!!!”
- The wording of the message is somewhat confusing
- The link in the message points to a sitey.me address, which has nothing to do with Penn State
- The page one is taken to is a labeled with “2016 MICROSOFT WEB-MAIL UPGREADE” – Penn State’s WebMail is not a Microsoft product, and upgrade is misspelled on the page
From: “Lee, Alex” <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 12:26:49 PM
Subject: : IT SERVICE HELP DESK !
Take note of this important update that our new web mail has been improved with a new messaging system from My Access which also include faster usage on email, shared calendar,web-documents and the new 2016 anti-spam version.
Please use the link below to complete your update for our new My Access improved web mail.
CLICK on Outlook Web Access<– Links to a sitey.me fake Microsoft webmail page to update immediately.
IT SERVICE TEAM